Friday, February 09, 2007

Charlotte's Web Visual Effects Supervisor

I had the pleasure of meeting up with John Andrew Berton Jr., Visual Effects Supervisor of Charlotte's Web this week. I am writing this after just viewing Charlotte's Web with my 9 year old son.

The visual effects work was simply beautiful. Everything from modeling, texturing, shaders, lighting, animation, use of depth-of-field, and compositing was extremely well done.

John taught me a lot about what it means to be an Independent Visual Effects Supervisor. It's not just sitting in dailies and providing feedback.

I remember on a flight to LA not too long ago I ran into John and we sat next to each other on the plane. John's ability to explain the sheer joy of simple things in life, such as playing games with his son or the details of NASCAR, is unmatched. He and Tom Atkin convinced me to take my son to a NASCAR event someday. Something I never imagined taking an interest in.

I regret not going to work in Australia at Rising Sun Pictures the last few months to help in the visual effects effort on Charlotte's Web. However, by not ultimately going to Australia I had the pleasure of having more time with my son in the bay area.

My hat is off to John for the incredible work he supervised at various vendors around the world. Not only does the movie Charlotte's Web teach us what's important to value in life, John does, whether it's whether it's games, NASCAR, or visual effects work.

-Louis

No comments: